Medical Image Technology is a contemporary medical science field covering a broad scope in Pakistan. Learning about the courses in medical imaging technology job opportunities, medical technologist’s duties, qualifications, and needs are possible. Imaging for medical purposes is the method and method to create visual representations of the inside of a human body to aid in medical diagnosis and analysis and also a visual representation of the functions of specific organs or tissue (physiology). Imaging Technologist, Medical Radiological Technologist, or Scientist (terminology differs from place to location, but the nature of work and responsibility remains the same) is the only acknowledged expert in the wide range of imaging diagnostics for medical purposes using non-ionizing or ionizing radiations. Radiological Technologists/Scientists manage numerous procedures performed in the Medical/Radiology Imaging Departments. They carry out radiographic procedures, including CT Scans, MRIs, Angiography, General Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, and mammography.
They recommend the necessary preparations and medications required to perform these procedures. They also assist in the positioning of patients, as well as recording the process and analysis of images for diagnosis purposes. They must also be aware of emergency procedures with Radiographic Units, including how to analyze and interpret radiographs or images and the specifics regarding radiation safety.
Medical Imaging Technology Scope
MIT is a process of interpretations to create the image of organs in the body. After the fundamental analysis of the disorder and the medical imaging, the Doctor will assist in the appropriate treatment. It could be a significant operation or aid to clinical care and the patient’s safety during the procedure or treatment. Anyone proficient and skilled in this could secure a lucrative area in the Radiology departments at hospitals, diagnostic radiology private laboratories, nuclear medicine research institutions, and the Medical Imaging equipment maintenance department. There are many opportunities to build a career and gain the top position and rank in medical radiography.
Medical Imaging Technology Courses
For the last nine years, the Medical Imaging Doctor (MID) has been learning in Pakistan. It is an undergraduate five-year program that follows 12 years of schooling, i.e. intermediate or A-levels or equivalent, with the minimum requirement of 50%-65 percent marks. The degree is equivalent to professional and clinical master’s degrees like Pham-D and DVM. Anyone successful in completing the program is eligible to hold the title of Doctor of Medical Imaging and Imaging in Pakistan. The courses offered at MIT must be completed over eight months (4 years)) and two sessions (1 year) of hands-on work.
MIT students learn Medical Sciences, i.e. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Medicine Surgery, and Principles of Medical Imaging through CT, MRI, USG, Angiography, Radiology, and Nuclear medicine. They also study Behavioral Sciences and primary patient care, with practical training in various imaging techniques. The main topics to be studied are listed below:
- Basics of Anatomy/ Biochemistry/ Pathology/ Physiology
- Medical Ethics
- Imaging Physics & Instrumentation
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Obstetrical Ultrasound
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Basics of Doppler Ultrasound
- Computer Education
- Gynaecological Ultrasound
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- General Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
- Radiation Sciences and Technology
- Small Parts Ultrasound
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Mammography special radiological techniques
- The cardiac imaging and angiography
- Nuclear Medicine
- Advances In Medical Imaging Technology
- Research methodology and statistical
- Research Project
Medical Imaging Technology Career Scope in Pakistan
MIT Career Opportunities
There is a severe shortfall in Medical Imaging technologists countrywide. This is why there is plenty of opportunity for those who have completed Medical Imaging Technology in public and private sectors across Pakistan. There are many opportunities for employment overseas, especially in the Middle East, Australia, the USA, and Canada. It is a globally recognized profession that offers a wide range of options for career advancement.
- Medical Imaging Technologist
- Medical Diagnostic Radiographer
- Diagnostic Radiographer
Career possibilities in the field of Medical Imaging Technology are as the following:
- Radiation Therapy Department
- Cancer Hospitals
- Lab Owner
- Nuclear Medicine Field
- Medical Research Labs & Journals
- Medical Laboratories
- Medical Equipment Making & Services Industry
- Biomedical Engineering Firms
- Nuclear Research Laboratories
- Lecturer at Colleges & Universities
- Medical Imaging Equipment Maintenance Department
The opportunities for career advancement and employment in the radiography industry are numerous. Radiographers are in high demand. Been increasing in recent years because of the advances in medical technology. This has created the possibility of a brand new and broad scope in radiology. In India, Radiographers can work in private and public hospitals. Numerous jobs are available for part-time and full-time employment.
When you have completed your training, you’ll be an experienced radiographer. Radiographers are those who perform the ultrasound test, also called sonography. Radiographers’ employment opportunities are extensive, both within the United States and abroad. Radiographers are in constant demand in various health facilities such as nursing homes, hospitals, diagnostic centers, and super-specialty hospitals. The field of radiology is proliferating in the area of medical research. Thanks to advancements in technology and computerization, this field has an advantage since it is closely connected to advanced imaging. The job you get is a job based on your area of expertise as well as your experience and qualifications. There are a variety of career paths that are available in the field of radiology.
Job Profile in Radiography
- Radiology Technician
- Radiology Assistant
- Radiology Technologist/Radiographer
- Radiology Nurse
- Ultrasound Technician / Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- MRI Technician
- CT Tech / CAT Scan Technologist / CT Scan Technologist
Common workplaces where radiologists could work include:
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Public Health Centers
- Diagnostic Labs
- Nursing Homes
Top Medical Imaging Technology Careers
Various modalities have developed or become more commonplace in the past few years because of the latest techniques and discoveries. There are many different medical imaging specialties, including these lucrative jobs. Below is the overview and explanation of Top Medical Imaging Technology Careers:
Nuclear Medicine Technologist
The Nuclear Medicine Technologist, working closely with a supervising physician, administers radioactive compounds called radiopharmaceuticals. The job entails conducting and analyzing imaging techniques with the aid of radiation detectors that the doctor employs to diagnose. Good communication skills and focus on detail are essential, as is a solid mathematical foundation.
Radiotherapy Therapists who collaborate with radiologists can prescribe and administer radiation therapy to cure cancer. The radiation therapist forms part of a team who works to treat and eventually treat a patient’s disease. Because of the illness, the radiation therapist can often calm and reassure the patient. A comfortable “bedside manner” is critical to successfully executing the therapy.
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, commonly referred to as ultrasound techs, utilize equipment that emits high-frequency sound waves to create images of unborn fetus tissue, organs within the body, and muscles. The use of ultrasound as an aid in diagnosis and/or treatments has grown dramatically, and the need to hire ultrasound techs has increased also.
Cardiovascular technologists can carry out surgical procedures that are invasive as well as non-invasive on patients to identify and treat ailments associated with the heart or the vascular system. There are a variety of specialties in cardiovascular technology, including cardiology technologists, cardiovascular technologists, and cardio sonographers. The responsibilities for the various things can differ.
The MRI and Radiologic Technologists employ imaging equipment that uses an electromagnetic field and radio waves to make images of the insides of a patient’s body. The huge tubes patients sit in for an MRI are noisy and confining and can cause fear and anxiety. Thus, the technologist will often be required to be attentive to patients’ fears and help them relax.
Medical Imaging Technologist’s Responsibilities
- Take X-rays of patients according to the instructions of surgeons and doctors.
- Offer essential patient hospital care.
- Assist surgeons during significant operations.
- Analyzing the technological quality images of various kinds,
- Maintain the equipment with the assistance of experts in biomedicine.
- Provide the most effective imaging technique to a medical professional to diagnose a specific condition.
- Inform patients about preparing for radiation treatment and address any concerns they may have.
- Check that you and your imaging equipment are in the correct position before taking an image.
- Responsible for the security of patients during the process of imaging. They do their best to protect patients from the adverse negative effects of radiation by limiting the intensity and length of radiation.
- Examine and develop the X-ray films attentively and provide their expert opinions.
- Recommend further tests following the examination of the report.
- The paramedical staff is trained in paramedical schools and hospitals.
- Set up and maintain the recording equipment and monitor the exposure to radiation in various tests.
- Operate and manage a range of modern imaging equipment, such as Ultrasound machines, X-ray machines, CT Scan machines, Fluoroscopy Equipment, MRI machine equipment for Angiography, Computed Tomography (CT) equipment, mammography scanner, PET scans, Nuclear Medicine,
- Laboratories, public and private hospitals.
Required Skills for MIT
- Interest is in Nuclear Physics, life sciences, and radiation.
- I am a patient advocate and a part of the medical team.
- Researchers and people who are technically inclined.
- Ability to support senior students and help the juniors.
- People with a kind heart and a purpose in their lives.
Check also: Medical Scientists Career in Pakistan